Leadership Through Sport & Business is a social mobility charity that gives bright, disadvantaged young people access to high-level careers in business and finance.
Our life-changing sixteen-month apprenticeship programme doesn’t just improve employability; it results in employment. Through intensive training with LTSB, football foundations and blue-chip companies, our participants are developed personally and professionally, and better prepared for the business world. The success rate is incredible: we’re proud that 100% of all graduates from the first two Intakes went on to full-time employment or chose higher education instead.
We currently work with Chelsea, West Ham United, Aston Villa and Leyton Orient’s foundations to deliver coaching, mentoring and leadership skills. We also work with selected FE Colleges including South & City College Birmingham, Westminster Kingsway College, College of Haringey Enfield & North East London and Newham College to deliver academic qualifications.
We are delighted to be working with Manchester City FC City in the Community and Kaplan in Manchester for our 2016 Intake. We are also delighted to be working with Ealing, Hammersmith and West London College together with Chelsea FC Foundation this year.
Our life-changing sixteen-month accountancy apprenticeship programme consists of two phases: a four month unpaid pre-apprenticeship training and a 12 month paid Apprenticeship with blue-chip companies.
In the first four months, candidates are given the training and skills to succeed through:
- Education – internationally recognised AAT Level 2 qualification in accounting, with expert tutoring through local college partners
- Employability – exclusive interview training, CV coaching, public speaking and debate competitions, business games, guest speakers, as well as workshops and events with leading companies and business people.
- Enrichment – transferable skills developed through FA Level 1 coaching, refereeing and first aid courses. Leadership development through volunteering in the community and coaching younger children. Each young person volunteers a minimum of 35 hours during the year they are employed.
The results are clear!
- 91% successfully completed the programme
- 100% were placed as apprentices with leading employers for 12 months
- 80% were hired by their incumbent apprenticeship employers
- 100% found employment or progressed to university or further education
Our programme has a far-reaching impact not just upon the young people who participate but their families, their communities and society as a whole!
PLEASE HELP US TRANSFORM MORE LIVES
Employ a young person for 12 months in a junior accounts role
- Talent pipeline of diverse bright ambitious young people with social & employability skills
- No recruitment or training costs
- Opportunity to try out the person before you hire full time
- Exemption from Employers NI
- Credit against Government Levy
- Grants applicable depending upon employer size
- Continuous leadership and personal development provided
- Support by LTSB, Football Club, College and individual Mentor
Our Employers Include:
- Barnes Roffe
- Bayern LB
- Berg Kaprow Lewis LLP
- Career Moves Group
- Complete Accounting Solutions
- Charles Taylor InsureTech
- Crowe Clark Whitehill
- Edison Group
- Eversheds LLP
- Grant Thorton
- Harman & Co
- Harvest Digital
- Iris Worldwide
- Johnson Matthey
- Kingston Smith
- Leyton Orient Trust
- Macquarie Group
- Made Simple
- Mountview House Group
- Online Lubricants
- Phoenix Equity Partners
- Raffingers Stuart
- Rochesters Accountants
- RSM (previously Baker Tilly)
- St Martin in the Fields
- Sunrise Brokers
- The Key Holding Company
- This is Now
- Tottenham Hotspur FC
- Tullett Prebon
- Wesley Pemberton
- West Ham United
If you would like to join our outstanding group of employers please email Debs Barlow, LTSB Employment Manager.
Employment Successes for 2013-2014 Apprentices
At the end of our second programme in 2013-14, we are extremely proud and delighted that 12 graduates have been employed by their apprenticeship employers and 2 others have been employed by other organisations, with a total of 15 out of 20 graduates currently in work. LTSB is helping the remaining 5 graduates find full time roles in accounting and finance.
Apprenticeship Placements for 2014-2015
We are delighted that the 16 apprentices in our West Ham Cohort and the 27 apprentices in our Leyton Orient Cohort in 2014-15 have nearly all been placed and most are well on their way in the 11 – 12 month apprenticeship placements, with a variety of blue chip, small and medium size organisations, and all are progressing well with excellent prospects of full time employment when they graduate.
- Baker Tilly – Chartered accountants and business advisers. Leading provider of tax accountanting and business services offering specialist advice across a variety of sectors, with 26 offices in the UK. www.bakertilly.co.uk
- Barclays – A British multinational banking and financial services company with operations in retail, wholesale and investment banking as well as wealth management, mortgage lending and credit cards. www.barclays.co.uk
- Bayern LB – London operation of a leading Bavarian bank. www.bayernlb.com
- Berg Kaprow Lewis LLP – chartered accountants, auditors and business advisors who add value to their clients businesses. www.bkl.co.uk
- Career Moves Group
- Complete Accounting Solutions
- Crow Clark Whitehill
- Eversheds LLP – one of the world’s largest international corporate law firms, with a proven track record of delivering consistently high quality legal services. www.eversheds.com
- Grant Thorton – One of the world’s leading organisations of independent assurance, tax and advisory firms. Over 38,000 people across 120 countries are focused on making a difference to clients, colleagues and the communities in which they live and work. www.grant–thornton.co.uk
- Harvest Digital – Deliver high performance digital marketing through a combination of brilliant ideas and flawless execution. www.harvestdigital.com
- ICAP – Leading Interdealer Brokers providing a wide variety of electronic execution, broking, risk mitigation, messaging, and information services to wholesale market participants and an integral part of the global financial system. www.icap.com
- Iris Worldwide – the global creative innovation network. An Ad agency, digital shop, content publisher, social engagement outfit, PR company and retail marketer all rolled into one, neat, networked agency. www.iris-worldwide.com
- Johnson Matthey –
- JSA Resourcing –
- Leyton Orient – professional football club in Leyton, in the London Borough of Waltham Forest. They play in Football League One, the third tier in the English football league system, and are known to their fans as the O’s. www.leytonorient.com
- Mazars –
- Mountview House Group –
- Online Lubricants – Supplies lubricants to thousands of companies and organisations in many sectors of the economy. www.online-lubricants.co.uk
- Phoenix Equity Partners – A leading private equity investor in medium size UK companies. They invest across a range of sectors. Phoenix backs ambitious entrepreneurs to build great businesses. www.phoenix-equity.com
- St. Martin in the Fields – Is a multi cultural organisation open to those of all faiths or no faith. They employ a hardworking team of around 100 people in hospitality, galleries, concerts, administration, marketing and retail. www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org
- Tottenham Hotspur –
- Tradition – Interdealer broking arm of Compagnie Financière Tradition and one of the world’s largest interdealer brokers in over-the-counter financial and commodity related products. Represented in over 28 countries, Compagnie Financière Tradition is listed on the Swiss stock exchange. www.tradition.com
- Wesley Pemberton –
- West Ham United –
Several additional accountancy practices and financial institutions have expressed interest in taking our apprentices in 2014-15 and we are excited to be able to expand our programmes in line with their growing requirements.
What Does Our Programme Include?
There are 4 key pillars to the Leadership Through Sport & Business programme:
- Football club foundations or community teams deliver coaching training with the opportunity to gain an FA Level 1 Football Coaching certificate, mentoring skills and develop leadership skills. The foundations arrange for apprentices to experience coaching alongside their experienced coaches in community projects and school sports clubs, as well as mentoring younger children in local primary schools.
- Leadership Through Sport & Business organises leaders from sport, finance, business, industry, politics, law and entertainment to provide talks, workshops, unique events and Q&A sessions to inform, inspire and provide an insight into many different fields of endeavor.
- Colleges or training organisations deliver the academic training for Level 2 and Level 3 AAT qualifications.
- Blue chip organisations provide work placements where apprentices get practical experience and the opportunity to demonstrate enthusiasm, application and abilities. Many employers take on apprentices as a stepping-stone to a long-term career with them.
An integral part of our programme is to provide the apprentices with mentoring and coaching skills, enabling them to be role models and to actively encourage, motivate and inspire younger children in local primary schools through sports activities and assisting teachers with numeracy lessons.
By the end of 2014 we estimate that our apprentices will have made a positive impact on approximately 1,700 young children in their communities.
Why Accounting Skills?
Accountancy practices and financial institutions are keen to employ people who provide them with sufficient diversity and talent to compete in a fast moving and multicultural world. These organisations have found that school leavers provide them with enthusiastic, driven and determined individuals who, if they apply themselves, can become chartered accountants within 5 years, often outperforming graduates.
The Institute of Chartered Accounts of England and Wales (ICAEW) promotes Leadership Through Sport & Business to its members as it recognises that school leavers provide an additional route to the ACA qualification encouraging diversity within the accountancy profession.
Benefits of the Accountancy Apprenticeship Programme
Young people gain:
- Relevant, up to date and highly employable skills including Accounting, Business, advanced Excel and SAGE computerised accounting.
- Invaluable commercial experience.
- The ability to earn money (we are trying to achieve as standard the London Living Wage from our employers or the National Living Wage outside London) and go on to achieve excellent career prospects.
- A very well respected qualification.
- Financial skills that are relevant no matter what career path they pursue.
Leadership Through Sport & Business uses sport, in particular football, as a vehicle to create life-changing opportunities for young adults with leadership potential.
Our programme is based on the belief that engagement through sport can result in far more than developing sports skills. It can harness a sense of mutual respect and trust, widen horizons, raise aspirations and provide opportunities to young people regardless of family or economic circumstances, race, gender or religious beliefs.
Leadership Through Sport & Business engages with football club foundations and community teams to deliver some of the leadership and personal development aspects of our programme. Using the terrific brand names and outstanding local community programmes of our delivery partners the selected young adults obtain sports coaching and leadership qualifications.
This element allows these young adults to provide high quality sports coaching and mentoring opportunities to younger children in local schools, within sport inspired projects, where they become ambassadors
Benefits of the Sports Element of the Programme
Young people gain:
- Relevant, up to date safeguarding training.
- Relevant, up to date emergency first aid training.
- FA Level 1 football coaching qualification.
- The opportunity to shadow highly qualified multi-sports coaches.
- On the job experience of coaching multi-sport sessions to a range of participants.
- Mentoring and Teacher Assistant experience in primary schools.
Our delivery partners in 2014-15 were the West Ham United Foundation with Newham College and the Leyton Orient Trust with the College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London, and we will continue to work with both of these clubs and colleges in 2015-16.
We are in discussions with additional Clubs, local Colleges and other Training Providers at this time, to expand our programme so we can reach and help more young people in both London and other cities.
Who Is Our Ideal Candidate?
The Leadership Through Sport & Business programme is aimed at 16 -24 year olds who have a passion for business and sport and have achieved 5 A* to C grades at GSCE, including Mathematics and English. This project will build their skills, increase employability and help them gain confidence and motivation.
For 2014-15 we also have some employers who require A levels as a minimum criteria.
We are looking for young people who:
- have a spark – who are enthusiastic, have drive and are passionate about business and sport
- work well as part of a team
- communicate effectively with peers and tutors
- show an interest and dedication to learn
- understand the importance of being punctual, attending and fully engaging in all elements of the programme
- present themselves well
What Leadership Through Sport & Business Can Deliver
Leadership Through Sport & Business will be recruiting up to 60 talented, energetic, determined, enthusiastic and hungry school leavers for employers to take on with a start date between September 2014 and January 2015. We are able to create a bespoke programme for employers who have a requirement for 15 or more apprentices.
Some employers we are in discussion with also want to deliver the AAT training internally or via their chosen training supplier, which can be accommodated by the programme.
2016-17 Programme Outline
We will kick off the programme during the summer of 2015. The Apprentices undertake a 14-week pre-apprenticeship programme including studying for accountancy AAT Level 2 and the coaching and mentoring and leadership development aspects of the programme.
From January 2016 onwards apprentices will be placed with employers for 11 – 12 months whilst they continue to attend college on a day release basis to study AAT Level 3 as well as continuing with their leadership and personal development programme.
If employers require apprentices / school leavers to start with them earlier this can be arranged.
Please contact Caroline Adair, Executive Director of Leadership Through Sport & Business, to discuss your requirements and we will endeavor to work closely with you to achieve your recruitment objectives for school leavers who will really make a positive difference to your organisation now and in the future.
Chris James Testimonial
Steve Umpelby Testimonial